“L’ amour fou” (2010), directed by Pierre Thoretton (by sleek magazine)
Yves Saint Laurent’s favorite things, from the documentary L’amour fou (now streaming on Netflix!).
My favorite part:
Interviewer: Your favorite quality in a woman?
Yves Saint Laurent: Charm.
(found via Quite Contintental)
“The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - that you’d thought special, particular to you. And here it is, set down by someone else, a person you’ve never met, maybe even someone long dead. And it’s as if a hand has come out, and taken yours” - Hector, The History Boys
We read to help us forget and to remember. For those of you who have been asking about reading recommendations, here’s my top 5 for this year, accompanied by excerpts that made me fall in love.
- The Help - Kathryn Stockett
I linger at the window. Outside, a fine rain has started to fall, misting the glassy cars and slicking the black pavement. I watch Lou Anne slip away in the parking lot, thinking, There is so much you don’t know about a person. I wonder if I could’ve made her days a little bit easier, if I’d tried. If I’d treated her a little nicer. Wasn’t that the point of the book? For women to realize, We are just two people. Not that much separates us. Not nearly as much as I’d thought.
- Dispatches from the Edge: A Memoir of War, Disasters, and Survival - Anderson Cooper
I wished I knew how to explain it to them. It’s as if a window opens, and you realize the world has been re-formed. I wanted to see the starvation. I needed to remind myself of its reality. I worry that if I get too comfortable, too complacent, I’ll lose all feeling, all sensation.
The next day, I was on a plane, on my way. I’d been relieved of the burden of vacation. I was in motion once again, hurtling through space. Nothing was certain, but everything was clear.
- Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Jonathan Safran Foer
What about little microphones? What if everyone swallowed them, and they played the sounds of our hearts through little speakers which could be in the pouches of our overalls? When you skateboarded down the street at night you could hear everyone’s heartbeat, and they could hear yours, sort of like sonar. One weird thing is, I wonder if everyone’s hearts would start to beat at the same time, like how women who live together have their menstrual periods at the same time, which I know about, but don’t really want to know about. That would be so weird, except that the place in the hospital where babies are born would sound like a crystal chandelier in a houseboat, because the babies wouldn’t have had time to match up their heartbeats yet. And at the finish line at the end of the New York City Marathon, it would sound like war.
- An Object of Beauty - Steve Martin
On the way back to the Carlyle, his mental reenactment of their last kiss told him, yes, she loves me, and he once again saw Lacey as an illuminating white light, forgetting that white is composed of disparate streaks of color, each as powerful as the whole.
- The Conquest of Happiness - Bertrand Russell
To all the talented young men who wander about feeling that there is nothing in the world for them to do, I should say: “Give up trying to write, and, instead, try not to write. Go out into the world; become a pirate, a king in Borneo, a laborer in Soviet Russia; give yourself an existence in which the satisfaction of elementary physical needs will occupy almost all your energies.”
The things we love make us. Here are the top 5 things I currently can’t get enough of:
1. Engineer boots by Frye These become part of my uniform come fall and winter. Wearing them leads me to strut, like I’ve just kicked some ass and I’m about to take my motorbike out.
2. Matcha green tea Curling up with a cuppa makes the day melt away (along with high cholesterol and high blood sugar).
3. It’s Not How Good You Are, It’s How Good You Want To Be by Paul Arden A swift kick in the pants in the form of a book.
4. Kiehl’s Musk It just smells SO. GOOD. I regret that I didn’t buy more.
5. Hunting jacket by Ralph Lauren Acquired during a thrifting adventure with Joy and now part of fall uniform. Love the suede shoulder patch, the olive-green quilting, and gold buttons… just simply good.